Childress High School Attendance Policy
Students are expected to attend school daily without unexcused absences as prescribed by TEA 25.085 (Compulsory Attendance)
Students are expected to attend school from 8:00am-3:35pm Monday through Friday.
All exterior doors will be secured at 8:00am, therefore students must enter through the main entrance.
Students who meet a 96% attendance rate and complete all course and state assessment requirements will be dismissed for the summer on May 20, 2016. Students who have not met these requirements will dismiss on May 27, 2016.
In the event of an absence:
- Call - Parent or guardian will contact the Childress High School office at 940.937.6731
- Explain - Parent or guardian will explain cause of absence to the office for determination of absence type.
- Provide - Parent or guardian will provide written documentation to the Childress High School office within 3 days of the absence. (Written documentation includes a note from a health care professional, dentist/orthodontist, court order, etc... ) A parent must provide written documentation for all other absences not specifically listed. Notes from parents are not automatically considered as excused absences.
Childress High School Responsibility
- Letter - An "Attendance Warning Letter" will be issued upon missing the 3rd unexcused absence.
- Investigate - Reason for student absences will be investigated and truancy prevention measures will be instilled.
- Court - Court action will be initiated if the student accumulates more unexcused absences after the "Attendance Warning Letter" and truancy prevention measures have failed.
Texas Education Code 25.092 Ninety Percent Rule
TEC 25.092 contains the provision of law commonly referred to as the “Ninety Percent Rule”. It conditions credit for a class based on a student’s attendance for at least 90 percent of the days a class is offered. Students must maintain 90 percent attendance or better in order to receive credit. Reese Education Center enforces the “Ninety Percent Rule” by requiring 90% attendance to award a course credit. If a student has less than 90% attendance the credit will be put on pending status until the student regains 90% by attending school without absence.
- Students will attend Saturday School in the event of an attendance rate lower than 90.%
- Student credits will be held with an attendance rate is lower than 90%
- Privileges will be suspended for students with attendance percentages lower than 90%
Texas Education Code Sec. 25.085 (COMPULSORY SCHOOL ATTENDANCE)
(a) A child who is required to attend school under this section shall attend school each school day for the entire period the program of instruction is provided.
(b) Unless specifically exempted by Section 25.086, a child who is at least six years of age, or who is younger than six years of age and has previously been enrolled in first grade, and who has not yet reached the child's 18th birthday shall attend school.
(c) On enrollment in prekindergarten or kindergarten, a child shall attend school.
(d) Unless specifically exempted by Section 25.086, a student enrolled in a school district must attend:
(1) an extended-year program for which the student is eligible that is provided by the district for students identified as likely not to be promoted to the next grade level or tutorial classes required by the district under Section 29.084;
(2) an accelerated reading instruction program to which the student is assigned under Section 28.006(g);
Texas Education Code 25.092 "Ninety Percent Rule" TEC 25.092 contains the provision of law commonly referred to as the "Ninety Percent Rule." It conditions credit for a class based on a student's attendance for at least 90 percent of the days a class is offered. Students must maintain 90 percent attendance or better in order to receive credit. Childress High School enforces the "Ninety Percent Rule" by requiring 90% attendance to award a course credit. If a student has less than 90% attendance the credit will be put on pending status until the student regains 90% by attending school without absence.
In case of absence call or email Sheila Timmons 9
40.937.6131 ext. 403 or email@example.com